Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Pretty Experiment

The first week or two in Chapel Hill I made a fish in foil dish. It involved tilapia, a compound butter, mushrooms and broccoli. I tend to read a recipe and make the changes I think we'd enjoy. The first fish attempt was a surprising success. We both really liked it, and for some reason the foil is (corny) fun.

A few weeks ago I ate at Lucky 32 for the first time. Cornmeal Crusted Carolina Catfish was my gastronomical adventure in the Greensboro location. It was delicious. My friend and I purposefully ordered different side items, so we could taste six (yes, six) of the multiple options. They were all incredible. We had whipped sweet potatoes, pinto beans and chow chow, a fried grits cake, cornbread and pot liquor, macaroni and cheese and green beans. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum. Thank you, Lizard, for the recommendation.

Just last weekend, we were looking for another unique place between here and Cary to dine with Tom's family. I think I was using Urban Spoon as my guide when I came across the Cary Lucky 32 location. It only took a few pairs of eyes glancing quickly at the menu before we had reservations for 8. That evening I chose fish again, but this time I went with the special. It was tilapia with a corn and tomato relish. Once again, the meal was a huge success. It also was an inspiration.

Thursday morning, I took a quick trip to the grocery for the makings of supper. In search of the bourbon-marinated salmon, I was disappointed to see it wasn't there. I asked the gentleman at the counter was he suggested, and I left with a 1-lb filet of red snapper. Had I lost my mind? I've never even eaten snapper, much less cooked it. Throwing caution to the wind, I marched forward. I grabbed some grape tomatoes, green onions, limes and frozen corn. Asparagus and black-eyed peas were my quick side kicks. The stage was set.

That evening I started the black-eyed peas dancing in some water and a touch (I promise a touch) of bacon grease. In preparation, I broke the tough ends off to the asparagus and mixed them with whole grape tomatoes and salt and pepper in a skillet and set it all to the side. In a small mixing bowl, I squeezed the juice from half a lime, added some lime infused olive oil, corn, grape tomatoes (halved) and sliced green onions. I gave that a good mix and let it all sit for a while. In the meanwhile, the fish came out of the fridge and found a home on the foil.


The fish hung out in the oven foiled up tight at 350 for maybe 25 minutes. In the last few minutes of the fish, I sauteed the asparagus and tomatoes in olive oil. Everyone was suddenly ready to be devoured.

After all, supper was a success. I think the fish needed a bit more salt and pepper, but it was great. I also personally voted for more green onions. As it was, the fish was so great that there were no left overs. Before we even sat down to eat, I was given an "A+ for visual appeal." (Must not do that too often - sounds like something to work on!)

As I write this post, I realize I need more pictures. Pictures from the Lucky 32 experience, pictures of the preparation, pictures of the plated dinner. It is fun to finally have some time to do this again with some regularity. Thanks to anybody who is breezing over the adventures. Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment