Monday, April 8, 2013

Cooper River Bridge Run

Despite the fact that we had some sort of stomach illness the week before the race, we had a great time in Charleston.

** Let it be known that more important than race week was Tom's thesis defense. ** God love him. It was the day after we got so sick. I missed it to lie in bed like a wet paper towel. I'm so proud of him though and am still sorry I missed being there to support my Love.

Anyway, two of the Florida folks raced with us. I intentionally took it easy as I was still having a hard time eating. I didn't set a record, but I once again loved the weekend.

Here we are at lunch after the race at Amen Street.


Not too shabby if I may say so myself.

We had dinner at High Cotton that evening. Everyone agreed it was a top notch meal. I was still picking at food, but luckily my appetite returned in full force for brunch the next morning at Husk.

I mean, let's face it. A trip to Charleston is a trip about eating. Maybe it is about drinking too. But really it is about eating.

At Husk that morning we shared biscuits and gravy for the table. Tom remembered someone ordering them last year. It was a good thing he did. They were delicious.

Now in North Carolina there is this pesky thing called Blue Laws. If you head to brunch on Sunday before noon, you will miss the chance to have a Mimosa or Bloody Mary. So I asked the waiter if we could drink. Hallelujah we were in luck!

I ordered a "Summah, Dhania" after having a sip of Tom's. The menu describes it with this: 

"Slow it down and stretch it out. Jalapeno macerated tequila, Aperol, cilantro simple syrup, fire roasted orange juice."

Seen here:




Basically, it was divine. With it I had a roasted quail a top stoneground grits, kale and two fried eggs. Heaven, I tell you. Heaven.

All in all the weekend was full of pedicab rides and libations and friends. Already looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

  1. You guys look stunning and so happy together! So glad you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete